Portabella Playoffs and a Little Friendly Culinary Competition to Celebrate National Mushroom Month

mushroom masters - portabella mushroom recipes

This round of the Mushroom Masters is over and the winner of the Portabella Playoffs, with a whopping 84% of the votes is Canada’s OhSheGlows’ Stuffed Portabella Pizza! Congratulations, Canada!

As if the World Cup in June wasn’t enough.

No really, it wasn’t.

Mushroom Masters, A Tournament of Taste

Mushroom MastersSo we decided to hold our own set of global games, with all the same competitive spirit, display of raw talent and refined skill, but minus the hot soccer players (sorry about that, we were disappointed, too). We’ve invited 12 of the most talented foodbloggers from Australia, Canada and the US to compete in what we’re calling The Mushroom Masters, A Tournament of Taste (it may or may not be coincidence that September is National Mushroom Month, by the way).

Each week during the month of September, three different bloggers will create original recipes using that week’s featured mushroom variety. Throughout the competition you’ll be able to find the bloggers’ complete recipes on their respective country’s sites: Australian Mushroom Growers Association, Mushrooms Canada and The Mushroom Council (US) — but make sure to vote for your favorite recipe here on TasteSpotting.

This week, the Mushroom Masters kicks off with the Portabella Playoff. The competition will be stiff with Jules of Stone Soup representing Australia, Angela of Oh She Glows representing Canada and Sara of Sprouted Kitchen as the US competitor. Take a look at each recipe (the three recipes are presented in alphabetical order by country), gaze at the gorgeous photos, and vote for the recipe you like best!

Let the games begin!

Recipe from Australia: Roast Portabella Mushroom and Bread Salad

Portabella Mushroom Salad - Australia
…from Jules Clancy of stonesoup in Australia:

“I love roasting mushrooms because I find it so simple, just pop them in the oven and about 25 minutes later you have the most divine smells. It’s also great because the mushroom flavour seems to be intensified by the heat of the oven.

Bread salads are a brilliant way to use up any not-so-fresh bread you may have hanging around. But they are equally delicious with fresh bread as well. Just make sure your bread is rustic and has a substantial texture like a good quality sourdough.

The beauty of this salad is that the wonderful buttery, juices from roasting the mushrooms mix in with the dressing and get soaked up by the bread so not one ounce of earthy mushroom flavour is lost.

Field mushrooms may be used instead of portabello. For a vegan version, replace the butter with additional extra virgin olive oil and add a generous handful of toasted pine nuts instead of the parmesan.”

Click to get the complete recipe by stonesoup at Australian Mushroom Growers Association

Recipe from Canada: Easy Stuffed Portabella Pizza in a Cashew Basil Cheese Sauce

Stuffed Portabella Mushroom - Canada

Stuffed Portabella Mushroom - Canada
…from Angela of OhSheGlows:

“These ridiculously cute and mouth-watering Portabella pizzas taste so much like the real thing you won’t believe they are vegan, gluten-free, and good for you! Shhh, don’t tell my husband.”

Click to get the complete recipe by OhSheGlows at Mushrooms Canada

Recipe from US: Balsamic Portabella Salad

Balsamic Portabella Salad - US
…from Sara of Sprouted Kitchen:

“My intention for the salad was to make it a vegetarian version of a steakhouse salad. Since portabellos are often the ‘red meat’ alternative for vegetarians, I wanted to choose flavors that would sort of play off that. The mushrooms have such a deep, rich flavor, that gorgonzola cheese makes complete sense. It has a light dressing, as the cheese, mushrooms and caramelized onions take over, and would compete with any sort of strong dressing.

The recipe could easily be a main course, but would be a great starter for both vegetarians and omnivores alike!”

Click to get the complete recipe by Sprouted Kitchen on the Mushroom Council site

Vote below, and check back next week to see which country — Australia, Canada or the US — wins the Portabella Playoff!

Which Portabella Mushroom recipe is the BEST?

• USA: sproutedkitchen's Balsamic Portabella Salad (6% Votes)
  • CAN: OhSheGlows' Stuffed Portabella Pizza (81% Votes)
  • AUS: stonesoup's Roast Portabella Mushroom Salad (13% Votes)

Total Voters: ( )

Loading ... Loading ...

by Sarah J. Gim on August 31, 2010 · 28 comments

UrMomCooks August 31, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Stuffed Portabella Pizza had me at Cashew Basil Cheese sauce! I can imagine that it tastes as good as it looks!

Kris August 31, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Stuffed Portabella Mushroom Pizza!? Brilliant! I cannot wait to make it!

lynn August 31, 2010 at 7:44 pm

oh yah baby! I’m trying this one for sure! I love portobella mushrooms and pizza so what could be better???

alana August 31, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Love the creativity of the Stuffed Portabella Mushroom Pizza! The other two, while they look tasty, are both salads. Mushroom Pizza gets my vote!

Ariel August 31, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I can’t wait to make the Portabella Pizza! Amazing.

Emma August 31, 2010 at 8:47 pm

[deleted]

Krista August 31, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Portabella pizza all the way! Oh She Glows is a genious in the kitchen!

Ashley August 31, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Was there really any need to get nasty on a food blog contest?? Yikes. That was a completely harsh + uncalled for assumption. –If all of these plates were sitting in front of me, I would grabbed the stuffed mushroom without hesitation. The other recipes also sound + look fabulous, but my mouth is watering from the pizza shroom!

Olya August 31, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Wow! That pizza looks delicious. Come summer, and I’m in to make it!
I think people who are rude in a blog world feel very miserable in real one. That’s why they try so hard to make other people miserable. But hey, you’re not succeeding! :-P

Linda August 31, 2010 at 11:32 pm

While the portabella pizza looks delicious, you can’t judge a book by its cover. Think of the calories and the time spent soaking those cashews. Give me the Roast Portabello and Bread Salad any day!

Tinka September 1, 2010 at 12:28 am

RE: Emma.

What a perculiar statement. Perhaps and little less judgemental blog readings and a little more real world interactions are needed for you.
All meals look amazing and major props to the contributers.

TheKiwiBex September 1, 2010 at 2:53 am

I’m a keen follower of Angela’s blog, but I voted for her recipe simply because it’s so creative and looks delicious!

Sunshine @ The Culinary vampire September 1, 2010 at 4:17 am

@ Ashley and Tinka – My thoughts exactly. Just say why you voted for a particular item and move on, right?

I voted for the portabella pizza. Looks awesome!

Tina September 1, 2010 at 4:23 am

Hi!
I don’t like mushrooms very much but WOW, I love the idea of making Easy Stuffed Portabella Pizza! I think my guests will be amazed by this idea, so thank you for this recipe!
Greetings from Slovenia :)

Sheri September 1, 2010 at 4:40 am

I agree with Ashley and Tinka no need to be nasty here this is a food blog contest. Sheeshh! I voted for the Portabella Pizza as well. Very creative and simple! Plus it looks delicous!

Jeni September 1, 2010 at 5:25 am

Wow, watch the harsh comments around the mushrooms! They’re tender and impressionable little things! ;-) All these recipes sound yummy, but I voted for the pizza too because it was the most creative with ingredients and it made the portabella the star! I’d say soaking the cashews wouldn’t take too much time, just a little day-before foresight.

cathy macfadyen September 1, 2010 at 6:25 am

can’t wait to try it! sounds wonderful and always looking for new ideas for gluten-free.

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ September 1, 2010 at 6:48 am

Angela at Oh she glows is just amazing and makes the best foods.

Stacey September 1, 2010 at 7:25 am

I vote the portabella pizza, yummy!

Julie September 1, 2010 at 8:20 am

Yum! I want to make all the recipes, they all look delicious. It was a difficult decision but I voted for the mushroom pizzas, I’ve been wanting to try a recipe using cashews and this sounds like the perfect one.

Janna M September 1, 2010 at 9:01 am

The pizza looks like a steak from the side. I’m definitely going to make that for myself on our next homemade pizza night.

laura September 1, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Help! I keep clicking but can’t figure out how to vote! I want to vote for Angela’s awesome pizza shroom. And why so nasty up there? What do you really know about Angela?

Lacey September 1, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Two of My FAVORITE bloggers are in this contest? What are the odds?! It’s so hard to choose but Oh She Glows gets the creativity vote. That pizza looks amazing.

Kristy September 1, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Hi Angela,

I came across your blog recently and read it often. It’s so great! I’m on the fence about becoming vegan myself as I always feel and look so much better when I eliminate meat and dairy products. It’s a journey I’m currently figuring out. Thanks for all of the recipe ideas. I went and voted for your mushroom recipe and cannot wait to make it myself.

Kristy

Ken September 1, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Angela always does it right – mushroom pizza all the way!

Sonia September 2, 2010 at 8:20 am

While the others do look delicious, I want something that would make my mouth water and the stuffed portabella pizza does the trick. It gets my vote. Can’t wait to try all the recipes.

Lizzie September 2, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I’m a big fan of Jules/Stonesoup. She rocks (er, you know). But I still have to ask the question. Where’s France? Where’s Clotilde Dusoulier’s Chocolate & Zucchini? I bet she would have a kicky mushroom recipe to contribute. Maybe next time? I am off to the kitchen to try these yummy recipes now. Thanks!

ger September 4, 2010 at 6:38 am

Just love mushrooms so much. Jules recipe and flavour is to die for.