How to Separate Eggs {video} – Water Bottle Method!

It’s a short video, and not in English, but watch the whole thing to see how to separate eggs, geniusly, with a water bottle.

We separate eggs in all manner of ways (including unijobber gadgets that end up in the Gallery of Useless Gadgets (GoUG) ) and we think still, it’s faster to do it one of the old ways — crack the egg and pass the yolk back and forth between the shells (we know, it’s not necessarily the safest method) — but the water bottle method is just too cool not to try.

How do you separate your eggs?

by Sarah J. Gim on August 24, 2012 · 14 comments

Amanda August 24, 2012 at 12:55 pm

My mind…it is blown. O_O Wow.

Emily August 25, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I’ve never had very good luck with separating them by passing back and forth from shell to shell–the yolk always gets caught on a jagged part, pops, and I get yolk in my white. :( I crack the egg and separate it with my hands (hold the yolk in my palm and let the white slide between my fingers into the bowl). For those of you who are saying “Eeeeeewwwwwwww!” right about now, I was raised by my grandmother (a RN/Anesthetist) and I was taught proper handwashing techniques at a very early age. :D

Dana @ Minimalist Baker August 25, 2012 at 7:09 pm

amazeballs. I’m totally trying this!

Olivia August 25, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I’m with Emily above. When I was little, I saw a cookery slot on Blue Peter (staple viewing for all British children) where they separated eggs by cracking them into a saucer, covering the yolk with an egg cup (perfect size!) and pouring off the white. My mother had taught me the passing back and forth between halved eggshells method Emily mentions but, like her, I was forever breaking the yolk, so for years I used the egg cup method. This induced raised eyebrows from the rest of the family, because it looks utterly uncool and is an open admission that you are so cack-handed in the kitchen, you can’t even manage the most basic of culinary skills. Then one day, I saw an episode of Nigella Lawson’s Summer series, where – while she waxed lyrical about the sensuality of whatever it was she was preparing – I noticed that she used the separating-through-the-fingers method that Emily also describes. If it’s good enough for the Domestic Goddess, then it’s good enough for me (clean hands imperative, of course). So what have we learned from my rambling contribution? 1. I have little to add that Emily hasn’t said already; and 2. I get most of my cookery tips from random TV viewing. I’ll give this bottle trick a try just because it looks hilarious yet efficient and, even if it doesn’t replace the sheer practicality of Nigella’s approach, I will in future always play tinkly elevator muzak while cooking because that can only add to the experience…

Meg Brookman August 26, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Olivia, I absolutely love your post. Clever and funny and smart! Thanks for making my day.

An August 31, 2012 at 2:16 am

Olivia, you are indeed very witty! This was a classic post.

Karine August 26, 2012 at 1:17 am

Oh my lord… I HAVE to try this! <3

adelina August 26, 2012 at 3:28 pm

HOLY SHHHHHEEEESSSSSHHHHH!!!
Thanks for sharing this clip!

Egglover August 26, 2012 at 3:48 pm

this is how the ufo will suck the humans into their spacepods. Fyi…

Saray August 26, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I love this! Best party trick ever.

Eta Strulovic August 29, 2012 at 3:45 am

It´s incredible,how some one have ideas to create tings inimaginable to do!

Eta Strulovic August 29, 2012 at 3:46 am

It´s incrediable!!!!!!!

Clarinet September 18, 2012 at 1:14 pm

AWESOME!! SO COOL

Tony Vo September 22, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I love this!
How are the greats to know in Chinese cooking method!