Fried Chicken and Waffle Grilled Cheese {how-to}

Fried Chicken and Waffle Grilled Cheese

April is National Grilled Cheese Month, so we’re celebrating by posting a grilled cheese sandwich every day. This is No. 11. See all of our grilled cheese sandwiches >> here << .

I’ve never had Fried Chicken and Waffles. The idea of crunchy, fatty-salt fried chicken paired with crispy, tendersweet waffles is awesome. It’s just that any time the opportunity arises for me to eat that glorious combination…

Ok, I actually don’t have an explanation of why I would ignore Fried Chicken of any sort. I just always end up eating something with eggs. I’m that easy when it comes to eggs.

Anyway.
Fried Chicken and Waffle Grilled Cheese
So my first time ever with Fried Chicken and Waffles is my own, and it’s not even “traditional,” whatever traditional is with respect to fried chicken and waffles, because it’s a grilled cheese “sandwich.”
liege waffle
I used a liege waffle because a regular waffle seemed like it would be too flimsy to hold together the weight and volume of both oozing melted cheese and pieces of fried chicken. The liege waffle is thick, sturdy, almost bread-like. It has tiny pearls of sugar in the waffle, so while it’s not quite the same as drippy maple syrup, it’s the same sweet effect without, well, the drippiness (which is fine with a fork and knife, but this is a sandwich you eat with your hands).
Fried Chicken and Waffle Grilled Cheese
If you like the double opposite combination of sweet/salty and crunchy/gooey, this grilled cheese is perfect. (Not everyone in the TasteSpotting Kitchen, however, was a fan, and we’ll just leave it at that.)

If you’re inspired enough to make everything from scratch, here are a few recipes to get you started:

Hopefully this inspires everyone to make real grilled cheese sandwiches for tomorrow’s National Grilled Cheese Day!
fried chicken and waffle grilled cheese

Fried Chicken and Waffle Grilled Cheese

makes 1 sandwich

Ingredients

1 tablespoon softened butter
1 large waffle or 2 regular small square waffles
2 slices of Cheddar cheese
1 piece of fried chicken (any part), bones and cut into thin/small slices

Directions

Depending on the type of waffle you are using, either cut it in half or split it apart.

On each waffle half, add a slice of cheese. Arrange the fried chicken pieces on one half, then close the sandwich with the other half of the waffle. Gently press the sandwich together.

Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a frying pan over medium low heat. Place the sandwich in pan and press down slightly with a spatula. Cook until the cheese on the bottom half starts to melt. Flip the sandwich over and cook until bottom is toasted and cheese has melted.

Remove the grilled sandwich from the pan and place on plate or cutting board.

by Sarah J. Gim on April 11, 2012 · 23 comments

rx4foodies April 11, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Wow, this looks absolutely amazing. I’m drooling. I can’t eat any part of it, which makes me sad, because I’m doing another 30 day vegan challenge.

chelsea April 23, 2012 at 5:26 pm

You can!!!! This is what makes me really sad about our society… people think that if someone is vegetarian or vegan, all they can do is eat vegetables and this is absolutely not true! There are TONS of vegan alternatives to milk, cheese, ice cream, etc. and there are very delicious soy/tofu/veggie meats! I have been vegan for a very long time and there are “fake” chicken cutlets that are delicious – you’d never notice a difference! hot dogs, ice cream sandwiches – you name it!

Nic@diningwithastud April 11, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Chicken and waffles!!! How very Snoop Dogg of you ;)

Lala April 24, 2012 at 7:21 pm

How very ignorant of you. Chicken and waffles is a southern dish. Snoop Dogg is a California rapper. Where’s the connection?

Sarah J. Gim April 24, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Hi Lala!

I think the connection comes from one of Snoop Dogg’s favorite restaurants, Roscoe’s House of Chicken and Waffles, which is in Los Angeles… :)

(Nic, hope you don’t mind that I jumped in here. Snoop Dogg is a favorite, I named my own dog to make her part of his family.. Snoop Daisy Dogg lol)

Lanie September 16, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Actually the chicken and waffle combo originated in Harlem during the 20′s. How rude and ignorant of YOU.

jerian July 31, 2013 at 5:40 am

@nic dining with a dudddd….thats just it your a dud……why even speak….just hush…..your as ignorant as they come..
seek help closet racist….u think…..

Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen April 12, 2012 at 1:09 am

You just created a dangerous weapon, my friend. A dangerous weapon!

Normal Food For Normal People April 12, 2012 at 5:03 am

Whoa! No one told me that April was national grilled-cheese month! What you created there is mouth-watering. I think it is the cheddar cheese that is doing it for me.

akaangrywhiteman April 12, 2012 at 8:46 am

Dry as dust, that is the mental picture that pops to mind.
It may well be otherwise, but the picture remains.

jjdactyl April 24, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Whoa. I can’t even imagine the fried chicken that you’ve had if your mental image is “dry.” That must have been such terrible, awful fried chicken. ):

brian April 12, 2012 at 11:20 am

this is awsome, can’t wait to try it!

Jo and Sue April 13, 2012 at 5:12 am

Ummm….so….yeah…..I need this immediately. Thank you for creating this and posting pictures on Pinterest and hypnotizing me with its deliciousness.

kat April 15, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Aaaamaazing!!!!

christellar April 18, 2012 at 9:17 am

*jaw drops*

it’s SPECTACULAR! great photos!

Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl April 18, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Damn this looks good. Wish I could eat it. Gonna need to wait until post bikini season.

RisaG April 18, 2012 at 2:38 pm

This looks so amazing. I want one right now. Making me so hungry.

terrie May 3, 2012 at 8:22 pm

A restaurant that serves this up uses both maple syrup AND honey mustard sauce, which I think would really do this justice.

Shelby September 25, 2012 at 12:33 pm

The Grilled Cheese truck has a chicken and waffle melt for Waffle Wednesday and it is the food of the gods if you like sweet and savory. They serve theirs with bacon maple syrup. Also what kind of an evil genius makes a truck that drives around bringing you grilled cheese?! The best kind!

nina May 25, 2013 at 10:16 pm

would you recommend syrup or hot sauce for this?

sarah May 27, 2013 at 8:43 am

Nina: I guess that depends on your personal taste preference! I know that people usually drizzle syrup all over Chicken n’ Waffles when it’s served as a plate, so as a grilled cheese sandwich… seems natural. Thought the hot sauce idea sounds AWESOME to me!

chefzakircooking July 18, 2013 at 2:10 am

taaaasty! delicious recipe. I would try it soon.

Sue August 26, 2013 at 11:56 am

WHERE can I find these waffles? I live in Albany and I’m in love with this sandwich. I too have never had chicken and waffles before!