Speaking of hot dogs…
Avocado tacos have pretty much nothing to do with hot dogs other than a very weak similarity in shape and concept: an oblong carbohydrate filled with, well, a filling. Still, we wanted to share a recipe for the Too Hot Tamales’ Crispy Avocado Tacos partly because we actually got the original recipe from the source (or as close as a pr company is to the source), but mostly because when we tasted these tacos at a bigbadfoodie event, we (like others have been) were left a little speechless.
And that wasn’t because our mouths were stuffed full of crispy little things that made an avocado more unreal than it is by itself.
Crispy California Avocado Tacos
Prep Time: 40 minutes; Cooking Time: 10 minutes; Total Time: 50 minutes
Avocado Taco Ingredients:
2½ tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/3 cup water
½ teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup quinoa
1/3 cup poppy seeds
1/3 cup sesame seeds
All-purpose flour, for dusting
1 ripe, firm, fresh California avocado, seeded, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
Salt, to taste
Vegetable oil, for frying
8 (4-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
4 romaine lettuce leaves, torn in half
1 cup Corn Relish (see make-ahead recipe below)
8 cilantro sprigs, for garnish
Avocado Tacos Directions:
1. Combine flour, water, cumin, salt and pepper to make a batter.
2. In a separate bowl, combine quinoa, poppy seeds and sesame seeds.
3. Place flour for dusting into a third bowl.
4. Season avocado liberally with salt.
5. To coat avocado, dust wedges with flour, shaking off all excess. Dip floured wedges into batter to coat lightly and then roll each wedge in the seed mixture, pressing gently to form a complete crust. Place seeded avocados on a plate in the freezer for 20 minutes before frying.
6. Heat 1 to 2 inches of vegetable oil to 375°F in a small pot. In batches, fry the coated avocado wedges in the hot oil until seeds are golden and crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes, and then transfer to a rack to drain.
7. To assemble the tacos, place a piece of lettuce in the center of each warm tortilla and top with a crispy avocado wedge, a generous spoonful of Corn Relish and a cilantro sprig. Serve immediately.
Corn Relish Ingredients
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cups fresh corn kernels
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
3 green onions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
1 canned chipotle chile, seeded, if desired, and minced
½ bunch cilantro, chopped
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Corn Relish Directions:
1. Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté corn with salt and pepper, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
2. Add remaining ingredients and let sit 20 minutes to blend the flavors. Serve at room temperature.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: Calories 560; Total Fat 35 g (Sat 4 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 3 g, Mono 16 g); Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 460 mg; Total Carbohydrates 53 g; Dietary Fiber 10 g; Protein 14 g
*Large avocados are recommended for these recipes. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
[recipe + image provided by California Avocado Commission]